Breast Cancer Diet
Having a healthy lifestyle along with a healthy diet is worthwhile and there should not any compromises in it. The key factors of maintaining a healthy lifestyle include:-
- Healthy weight
- Healthy diet
- Working out/ doing physical activities
- Quit smoking
- Limit/ avoid alcohol intake
The same is the case with breast cancer patients and their diet. After a patient is diagnosed with Breast Cancer they tend to re-evaluate their nutrition and health practices. Breast cancer is most commonly found in women, but there are also cases where it has even occurred in men, though Male Breast Cancer is way less than 1% of all breast cancer cases.
It has also been observed that breast cancer is less common in countries where a healthy and normal diet which consists of leafy vegetables and low-fat food is followed. High-fat foods make people overweight or obese which is one of the risk factors for breast cancer. Extra fat cells in overweight women/men make estrogen which can be the reason to cause extra breast cell growth leading to increase risk of breast cancer. Most patients wonder what changes should be made in daily routine, including their diet habits so as to get good results along with breast cancer treatment. Hence with the help of Breast Cancer Specialists, they make certain changes in their dietary habits. Let’s have a look at it.
Food items to be limited-
- All raw food items need to be avoided, as they might compromise the immunity.
- Refrigerated food items also need to be avoided as keeping them for too long might make them contaminated with micro-organisms.
- Preservative foods also need to be avoided.
- Avoid food containing cholesterol and saturated fat.
Do’s and Don’ts
- Keep yourself hydrated all the time.
- Include nutrient-rich food in your meals.
- Consume well-cooked veggies and other food items.
- Consume the fruits then itself after chopping them.
- Avoid oily food, junk food, half-cooked food, unpasteurized milk/juices.
- Avoid meat products.
- Avoid eating food that is refrigerated after cooking.
Food Items You Can Easily Consume
- Eat Cereal like Brown rice, wheat, oats, jowar, bajra, ragi
- Eat pulses like gram (red, green, black, and Bengal) and beans.
- Consume vegetables like bitter gourd, snake gourd, bottle gourd, ivy gourd, ladyfinger, leafy vegetables, beetroot, carrot.
- Consume citrus fruits like orange, sweet lime, grapefruit, lemons. Other fruits like banana, custard apple, cherries, papaya, pineapple, avocado, guava.
- Have Nuts & seeds like chia & flax seeds, almonds, walnuts.
- Consume low-fat milk, curd.
- Other beverages like Green tea.